Cribl does differently.
What does that mean? It means we are a serious company that doesn’t take itself too seriously; and we’re looking for people who love to get stuff done, and laugh a bit along the way. We’re growing rapidly - looking for collaborative, curious, and motivated team members who are passionate about putting customers first. As a remote-first company we believe in empowering our employees to do their best work, wherever they are.
As the data engine for IT and Security many of the biggest names in the most demanding industries trust Cribl to solve their most pressing data needs. Ready to do the best work of your career? Join the herd and unlock your opportunity.
Why You'll Love This Role
Cribl’s Stream unlocks the value of all machine data in ways that were previously not possible by providing users a new level of observability, intelligence and control over their real-time data. We are looking for a Principal Engineer to help build our core data platform which ingests, enriches, transforms, shapes, and routes data from and to numerous types of third party systems. Some may say Cribl’s greatest accomplishment thus far is having our software deployed in some of the largest organizations in the world processing up to petabytes of IT & Security data. Others may attribute that to our massive amount of goat gifs that we’ve harvested from the Internet. It’s difficult to know for sure.
As a Principal Engineer at Cribl, you will help set the technical direction for Stream by working closely with other product stakeholders to help identify, design, develop, and deliver products that delight our customers. Additionally, you will provide technical and thought leadership to the team in order to continually improve our technologies, tools, and processes. This role is equal parts research and development. If you enjoy the challenges of building scalable, robust, and high performing distributed systems which process large data sets in real time, this position may be right for you. In this role, you will join a team of skilled engineers committed to shipping the highest quality software and ensuring our customers’ satisfaction. This is a fully remote role and Cribl is a remote first company. Our culture embraces the diversity of team members spread all across the globe.
As An Active Member Of Our Team, You Will…
- Provide technical direction for products, projects, and features with emphasis on back end systems and APIs responsible for ingesting, processing, and routing data
- Host architecture discussions and design reviews with others on your team
- Partner with a cross functional team of engineers, designers, and product managers to translate feature specifications into product designs and implementable code
- Hands on contribution to the Stream by designing and developing features for the data platform
- Design, develop, test, and maintain clear, concise, and robust code that produces the desired outcomes for our customers
- Ensure product features are working as expected by creating robust test plans paired with comprehensive automated tests
- Coach and mentor junior developers
- Evangelize our innovation and engage our users by contributing to internal and external blogs related to the products that you help develop
If You've Got It - We Want It
- Bachelor’s degree in CS/EE or MS Preferred
- 12+ years of software development experience
- Ability to problem solve with holistic approaches; maintain focus on overarching objectives
- Demonstrated experience working directly with clients to solve problems and gather feedback on innovations
- Experience working with data intensive applications and/or data streams processing
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, operating systems, and distributed systems
- Self motivated, proactive, and pragmatic
- Ability to lead projects across the team with little to no additional supervision
- Experience in advanced development, especially in distributed systems and large, complex system environments deployed at scale
- Strong knowledge of Linux systems
- Working knowledge of Docker and k8s
- Experience with using and developing REST APIs
- Experience with Agile processes and rapid iterative development
- Experience using services from cloud based platforms such as AWS, Azure, and GCP
- Strong sense of ownership with focus on high quality and high performing deliverables
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written; able to explain complex technical topics to both internal and external stakeholders with ease and in remote/distributed environments
- Open source contribution
- No fear! Speak your mind
- Good jokes, or maybe better, bad jokes
- A love for goats
- Experience working remotely
Salary Range ($186,700 - $361,000 USD)
The salary for this role is dependent on geographic location. The salary offered within the range described will be based on the individual candidate’s job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. In addition to a competitive salary, Cribl also offers a generous benefits package which includes health, dental, vision, short-term disability, and life insurance, paid holidays and paid time off, a fertility treatment benefit, 401(k), equity, and eligibility for a discretionary company-wide bonus.
Bring Your Whole Self
Diversity drives innovation, enables better decisions to support our customers, and inspires change for the better. We’re building a culture where differences are valued and welcomed, and we work together to bring out the best in each other. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
Interested in joining the Cribl herd? Learn more about the smartest, funniest, most passionate goats you’ll ever meet at cribl.io/about-us.