Perry Correll, Principal Technical Content Manager at Cribl, is passionate about the powe... Read Morer of observability and how, when done right, it can deliver operational insights into network performance. He has 30+ years of networking experience from early Ethernet to today's observability and held positions from SE to product management with leading organizations. Read Less
Wow, can you believe it’s been a year since we announced Cribl Search and redefined the search process for observability and security data? Even though the product is just wrapping up its first year, Cribl Search has achieved unrivaled growth in both user adoption and expansion of product capabilities. Why? the biggest reason for this success is that Cribl was founded on the basic principle of customer first, so we design and build products for our customers to solve real problems they are experiencing.
The perfect example of this approach was Cribl Search, the first product to introduce our search-in-place and federated search capabilities, along with an agnostic search engine that enables administrators to query almost any observability and security data from a single interface. Essentially, Cribl Search flipped how administrators search their datasets. Instead of the traditional way of collecting, routing, ingesting, and only then searching, administrators are now able to dispatch the queries to where the data is located. Cribl Search is engineered to let you search data-in-place, whether the data remains at the edge, in stream, in an observability lake, or still on the endpoint that generated it.
Ok, we all know that we are now able to generate and collect far more data than we can ever afford to analyze effectively; the result is that some enterprises report utilizing less than 2% of collected data. The other 98% typically gets routed directly to storage to review later. But, in reality, this data is deteriorating in value as it sits. Its ability to answer critical security, performance, and system state questions quickly fades. This led to the birth of Cribl Search, which continues to evolve to address this challenge.
Day 1 – Search provides out-of-the-box search-in-place capabilities, allowing administrators to query any data in any format at multiple locations via Federated Search capabilities. So, data stored in AWS S3 buckets, or even located on edge devices, is now within reach. This vastly increases the scope of analysis. No longer requiring the cost or complexity of first having to collect, route, ingest, index, and store the data. But that was just the beginning of the evolution of Search. And we had no intention of sitting on our laurels.
Before we even released Search, we already had the following year of innovation planned out and started releasing new features every month as they become available. Cribl Search, being a cloud-based SaaS application, had additions and enhancements automatically updated with no action required by users.
To be honest, our first-generation users loved the concept of Cribl’s search-in-place but were looking for an additional number of original datasets they could access. The ability to search data in AWS S3 and on other host platforms was a great start, but they were quick to request access to additional data stores and resources. We listened.
Q1 was full of new features, but customers weren’t done asking, and the product team wasn’t done delivering. No rest for the weary (our engineering teams).
Q2 was a busy time, with improvements across all areas of the product. We continued to add new features while at the same time enhancing existing capabilities.
Without a doubt, 2023 has turned out to be an amazing first year for Cribl Search and its users. BUT we are not done yet!
Just this month, more operators, functions, and commands to improve shaping the query and the results were added. Plus, the increased ability for administrators to control users and not only access but control resource utilization, too. Finally, we have done some backend tinkering so Search queries are even faster, resulting in less waiting and less cost too. Read all about it here.
Sorry, legal says I can’t let the cat out of the bag just yet. But you can expect access to even more data resources with a greatly expanded ecosystem. Also, think higher performance, expanded integrations, and a simpler UI. That’s right – more powerful and user-friendly, too!
If you’re ready to join the celebration, click here to learn more about Cribl.Cloud and how to gain instant access to Cribl Search!